Smarter Than Pancakes

Monday, January 3, 2011

Hoppin John for Luck (Do I get double luck if I ate two servings?)

Filed under: Hoppin John,Main Dishes — shaye3 @ 7:08 pm
Hoppin John for luck.  Greens for money.  Cornbread because it's goood.

And don't try to tell me that Jiffy cornbread mix is just as good as homemade because you're wrong. Homemade is almost as easy and has no lard. Lard is yucky.

I’m going to go ahead and use the phrase “New Year’s Resolution”.  I know it’s so gauche, but I’m doing it anyway.  You know you’ve “set goals” or “have ambitions” to be more healthy in the new year.  Let’s just call a spade a spade and say they’re resolutions.  Sure, we’ll eventually break them, but why not start out the year on a positive note when it comes to eating habits that we want to install in ourselves?

 

Actually, my big plan is to allow myself enough leeway that it won’t actually be “cheating” or “breaking my resolution” when it happens.  I recently discovered RevolutionaryAct.com.  I completely agree with everything I’ve read so far.  I’ve been recommending it to everyone I know!  Go take a look at their article “Being Healthy Is a Revolutionary Act: A Manifesto for Thriving in a Mixed Up World”.  It’s pretty awesome.

Two ideas that I particularly like from their manifesto are the idea of filling 75% of your plate with veggies, then leaving the other 25% for other things; and focusing on eating healthy 85% of the time and cutting yourself some slack for three or four meals a week.  I’m going to try to do both.  I’m also thinking about going back on the old Weight Watchers.  I’m not willing to pay Weight Watchers for all of the new PointsPlus info, and I know well enough that a three point Twinkie isn’t as healthy as three points worth of produce.  I haven’t officially decided yet.  Let’s see how this 75% produce thing goes.

Ok, so as I understand it, corned beef and cabbage is a thing in the northern U.S. for New Year’s Day luck.  It used to be our tradition to make Reubens for New Year’s Day lunch every year.  I don’ t know if it worked or not.  I do know that we’re not eating corned beef since we went fully veg back in the beginning of 2010, so we thought we’d try on a New Year tradition from the south this year.  I hear they believe that black-eyed peas bring luck and greens bring money.  We could use both, and I could make all of the above vegetarian.  Besides that, it was gooooooood.  I’m not adding how many servings it makes because it makes a lot.  Maybe 8-10 servings.  Next time I’ll pay attention.

And so, without further ado, HOPPIN JOHN! (Converted to vegetarian because that’s how we roll now.)


Hoppin John
(Converted to Vegetarian)

Nonstick spray coating (I used olive oil from my handy-dandy Misto)

7-oz soy sausage (I used Gimme Lean)

1 cup chopped onion (I probably used a little more than a cup. We like onion.)

1 cup chopped red pepper (About 1 pepper. I used red because I hate green. You can use green if you want.)

1 cup chopped carrots (Two or three carrots?)

2 cloves garlic, minced

8-oz (1 1/4 cup) dry black-eyed peas

5 cups vegetable broth (I used 3 cans of Kroger brand veggie broth.)

1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed

1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed

1/2 tsp salt free seasoning (I used Penzey’s Mural of Flavor. Use whatever you want.)

1/8 tsp ground pepper

1/8 tsp ground red pepper

1 bay leaf

1 1/4  cups long grain rice

1.      Spray olive oil in a 4-quart dutch oven with nonstick coating.  Cut the Gimme Lean into smallish pieces and brown in hot oil until golden on all sides.  Remove from pan.  (If you throw the sausage in with the veggies, it gets squished.  It’s much better to cook first so it holds the little sausage ball shape.)

2.      Squirt more oil into the pan and add the onion, bell pepper, carrots, and garlic.  Cook the veggies until they start to soften a little.

3.      Add the fake sausage back to the pan, and then add the rinsed black-eyed peas, broth, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.  Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.

4.      Stir in rice, then cook for 15-20 minutes more until the peas are done and the liquid is absorbed.

5.      Remove bay leaf before serving with collard greens and homemade cornbread—because Jiffy is gross.

I have every intention of posting at least once a week this year, and with two I’ve already posted 1/3 as many times as I did last year.  I got a new bread machine for Christmas, and there’s naan dough rising in there right now.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.